YOUR HOME FOR INSPIRATION

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Six Rules of SUCCESS - Arnold Schwarzenegger (abridged version) [video]



 6 Rules of SUCCESS 

Arnold Schwarzenegger



1. Trust yourself

2. Break the rules (not the law) 
Think outside the box

3. Don't be afraid to fail 
Make decisions - You can fail but don't fear failure. If you fear failure, you don't try. If you don't try, you can't succeed


4. Don't listen to the "Nay Sayers" (people who say "You can't")

5. Work your butt off !

6. Give back - Don't only take. Help others.







If you want to read what you just heard and let it sink in some more, here is the above (edited) speech transcribed:


Of course people ask me all the time and say to me:


What is the secret to success?


The first rule is: trust yourself.


But what is most important is that you have to dig deep down, deep deep down and ask yourself:


Who do you want to be? Not what, but who?


And I'm talking about not what your parents or teachers or others want you to be, but you.


I'm talking about figuring out for yourself what makes you happy, no matter how crazy it may sound to people.


And number one is of course trust yourself no matter what anyone else thinks.


Number two is: break the rules.


We are given so many rules in life about everything.


I say break the rules, not the law, but break the rules.


It is impossible to be a maverick or a true original if you are too well behaved and not want to break the rules.


You have to think outside the box, that's what I believe after all.


What is the point of being on this earth if all you want to do is to be liked by everyone and avoid trouble.


The only way that I ever got to any place was by breaking some of the rules.


Which of course brings me to rule number three: don't be afraid to fail.


Anything I have ever attempted I was always willing to fail.


Though you can't always win, don't be afraid of making decisions.


You can't be paralyzed by fear of failure or you will never push yourself.


You keep pushing because you believe in yourself and in your vision and you know that is the right thing to do.


And success will come: so don't be afraid to fail.


Which brings me to rule number four which is: don't listen to the naysayers.


I mean, how many times have your heard: you can't do this, you can't do that, this has never been done before.


I love it if someone says: no one has ever done this before because if I do it, that means that I'm the first man that has done it.


So pay no attention to people who say it can't be done.


I never listen "that you can't", I always listen to myself and say: "yes, you can".


That brings me to rule number five which is the most important rule of all: work your butt off which means leaving no stone un-turned.


Muhammad Alì, one of my great heroes, had a great quote in the 70's when he was asked: how may sit-ups do you do?


He said: I don't count my sit-ups , I only start counting when it starts hurting, when I feel pain, that's when I start counting cause that's when it really counts, that's what makes you a champion.


That's the way it is with everything: "no pain, no gain".


But when you're out there partying, horsing around someone is getting smarter and someone is winning. Just remember that.
Now, if you want to coast through life, don't pay attention to any of those rules.



But if you want to win, there is absolutely no way around hard, hard work.

None of my rules, by the way, of success, will work unless you do. I've always figured out that there 24 hours a day. 

You sleep six hours and have 18 hours left. Now, I know there are some of you out there that say well, wait a minute, I sleep eight hours or nine hours. Well, then, just sleep faster, I would recommend. 


And that takes me to rule number six, which is a very important rule: it's about giving back.


Whatever path that you take in your lives, you must always find time to give something back, something back to your community, give something back to your state or to your country.


Let me tell you how reaching and helping people will bring you more satisfaction than anything else you've ever done.


Remember the six rules:


Trust yourself, Break some rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Ignore the naysayers, Work like hell, and Give something back.

1 comment: